Malaria Mondays - Adventures in Ghana and Beyond

An account, mostly true, of six months of an American college student's adventures across three continents, fraught with danger, passion, derring-do, beautiful damsels, evil villians...and you get the drift. My semester abroad, for your consideration.

Friday, March 10, 2006






Alrighty, second batch of photos for your viewing pleasure...

1. Emily, Darren, and Joy at my birthday bash at the Lebanese restaurant. These are the folks with whom I had the Valentine's Day lobster dinner, and I hang out with them fairly often.
2. This one is for Aunt Rose; me with a wall mural advertisement for Pepsi at Lizzy's, the open-air street bar in Osu. We trekked over to Lizzy's on my birthday after the Lebanese place.
3. No comment; the girls are Lisa (the Canadian kissing my cheek) and Megan (from North Carolina).
4. This one looks like it could be some sort of "meet the band!" photo shot from an album cover; I am sandwiched between two redheads (Carmen and Carolyn; Carmen is on the left) and two Jess(i)es...he-Jesse and she-Jessie. The five of us hang out together in he-Jesse's room quite often.
5. A bit dark because of the position of the evening sun, but that's Jesse playing guitar while sitting on his balcony railing with Carmen listening and looking on. This is how many afternoons and evenings have been killed.
And now, a little going-away-to-Mali treat...the Top 10 quotable moments (so far) of the semester! I am only responsible for a few of them; the rest have been culled from two months of conversation with other crazy international students experiencing all the idiosyncracies and general insanity of West Africa.

10. "So, you followed a drunk guide through the bat caves???"
9. "That is some really hot shito!" (shito being a very spicy Ghanaian sauce)
8. "The Botanical Gardens? More like the Rape Gardens, if you ask me..."
7. "So, we can stop here?"
"No."
"We can't stop?"
"Yes."
"So, we can get off here?"
"Yes"
"Well, stop then!"
"No"
6. "I give you GOOD PRICE!"
5. "Everybody drinks, everybody wins" (this is the operating motto of Quiz Night at Champ's...agree or disagree with it all you want, but it's still a heck of a motto for Quiz Night)
4. "Umm, are we going to Ho or Hohoe? Or both? Or neither?"
3. "That rasta guy over there just asked me to marry him!"
"Yeah, I've already 3 of them propose to me today..."
2. "Excuse me, are these kebabs beef?"
"Yes"
later....
"What meat are these kebabs?"
"Goat."
"I thought you said they were beef!?!?"
"Beef and goat the same thing!"
1. "Well, I sure just got hit on...by a Liberian prostitute. Again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home