Malaria Mondays - Adventures in Ghana and Beyond

An account, mostly true, of six months of an American college student's adventures across three continents, fraught with danger, passion, derring-do, beautiful damsels, evil villians...and you get the drift. My semester abroad, for your consideration.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006


OK, second round of pictures, all from Cape Coast and Kakum National Park.
1. The beach just outside the Door of No Return; notice the colorful fishing boat!
2. The seaward wall of Cape Coast Castle.
3. As the Beastie Boys would put it..."Lookin' down the barrel of a gun, son of a gun..." One of the cannons along the seaward wall of Cape Coast Castle.
4. The seaward wall.
5. A local man sitting one one of the rocks just beyond the castle; the shot was taken through an open-air window in the castle.
6. Inside the male dungeon; the Roman numeral marks the level to which human excrement collected in the dungeon.
7. The rainforest and the canopy walk; this is about the closest to being Indiana Jones I'll likely ever manage.
8. Visual proof that I did, in fact, brave the canopy walks despite acrophobia.

2 Comments:

At 25/1/06 19:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there or akwaaba as the locals say- Lauren Parke sent me your blog site. I volunteered in Prampram, about an hour from Accra this past summer. I absolutely fell in love with Ghana and its people. I was looking at your pictures and thought, wow, I have the exact same shots of the Cape Coast and the Kikum Canopy walk. Wasnt that an absolutely amazing experience?

I'll add your blog to my favorites list as I'm always excited to read about others experiences in Ghana.

I too had a similar experience with the names of businesses. I think my favorite was Holy Fire Hair Salon or Jesus Saves Catering.

How do I know Lauren? I'm in Los Angeles and a friend of mine is also an Episcopal Intern so I've now gotten to get to know Lauren and she's awesome.

Be well. I look forward to more posts.

Lucie

 
At 26/1/06 05:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shots, Kevin!
Can't wait to see more. Got a big kick out of the names for the businesses. Gives new meaning to taking in the local color... grin

Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home